Monday 17 December 2012

Yuba Mundo Cargo Bike Build


Ready for first test ride
Three weeks ago I ordered a Yuba Mundo cargo bike frame set from Practical Cycles in Lancashire, with the shipping it cost just over 700 euros. I decided to buy the frame set rather than the finished machine to get the practice of building the bike and to space out the upfront costs. So far the costs have worked out about the same as buying a complete bike, but all the labour is my own and I've used some components I already had. If I had to buy all components and pay for the build it would work out a lot more expensive.

I used the handlebars, gear shifters,V brake levers, saddle and freewheel from a second Raleigh Oakland which I own and this has saved some money. I also had all the brake and gear cables inner and outer in stock. The wheels came from the Yuba Webstore Europe, they are 26 inch, with 14 mm axles, as opposed to a usual 10 mm axle and the back wheel, which is rated to carry 600 kg has 48 spokes, as opposed to the normal 36. I have yet to buy and fit disk brakes, mudguards and a good stand. So I have a few more jobs to do before the bike is road worthy and ready to work.

The bike currently has a 6 speed freewheel, the biggest gear has 28 teeth, the smallest front chainwheel has 22 teeth so the lowest gear is very low. I have tested the bike without any load and it handles exactly like a normal bike.
The components I’ve bought so far are
Yuba Mundo version 4 FRAMESET from Practical Cycles
€720 (including shipping from UK)

€39.00

€149.00

€5.99

€5.99 each

€33.99 each

€27.99

€15.99

€12.99

€51.99

€19.99

No comments:

Post a Comment