Thursday 1 December 2011

The Raleigh Oakland Reviewed Part 2

When I last wrote about my Oakland in September I had done about 3000 km on it and I said it was due a full service. Well the road to hell is paved with good intentions, it did not get that full service. In fact it got no service at all.

In the meantime I kept cycling and put up over 2000 km more on it. But last week the bottom bracket (BB) began to squeak and developed some play. I stripped it down and discovered it was worn. So I changed it for a new sealed BB, which I bought in Halfords for 20 euros. Time will tell whether this low cost BB is good value.

My Raleigh Oakland fully serviced
When changing the BB I gave the bike a full service, so she is now fully roadworthy. I bought a tool kit from Halfords for 37 euros which had almost everything I needed for the service, except the tool to remove the cassette from the back wheel. This I also got in Halfords for 10 euros.

It probably took me five hours all told to do the service, I was learning as I went along and proceeding with extreme caution. Now I know how to do it and I have assembled a full tool kit, I could probably do a full service in an hour and half.

The chainwheels are showing a lot of wear but with care I should get another few thousand kilometers out of them. If what I am reading is right when I change the chainwheels I will also need to change the chain and the rear cassette.

Total cost of the Oakland so far (excluding accessories) 300 euros to buy, new back wheel 35 euros, new set of brake pads 3 euros, new bottom bracket 20 euros. Throw in a little grease and lub takes the cost to about 360 euros. Not bad for over 5000 km traveled.

I still love this machine and have no intention of changing it for a more expensive bike.

Oakland Reviewed Part 1
Oakland Reviewed Part 3
Oakland Reviewed Part 4
Oakland Reviewed Part 5
Oakland Reviewed Part 6


VP Components BC-73 68*118mm Bottom Bracket


Halfords Bike Tool Kit


Bikehut Freewheel Tool

2 comments:

  1. I wish I had read this blog two weeks ago before I bought a second-hand Oakland! Turns out there's a lot of wobble coming from the bottom bracket. My Oakland is supposedly about 3 years old - do you think the Halfords BB that you linked to would be the same for my bike or is there anyway I can check before I strip it out?

    Also, 3 or 4 spokes in the back wheel were broken. I took it to the bike mechanic here at uni and he replaced them but said that because so many had gone, it'll only be a matter of time before the rest go and I'll have to replace the wheel. Is it a big job to replace all the spokes as you did?

    Believe it or not though, I love the Oakland! And by doing all these repairs myself it'll give me the opportunity to learn a bit about the bike which can only be good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bottom bracket (bb) should be the same size as on my 2011 model, but if you strip it out and take it with you when going to buy a new one, the bike shop can check the size.

    The wheels are the worst part of the Oakland, it not a big job to replace all the spokes once you know how. I done a bike mechanic course which included wheel building. If you are not familiar with wheel building best to take it to a local bike shop and replace the wheel.

    I'll bet you love the Oakland, a great machine for communting and utility cycling.

    ReplyDelete