Thursday 18 October 2012

The Raleigh Oakland Reviewed Part 5


The biggest flaw with the Raleigh Oakland is that the wheels are badly built. I broke three back spokes when I tried fully loaded touring on my Oakland last year. Both front and back wheels were out of true. I bought a second Oakland in September last year, and just like the first both wheels were badly built and out of true.

My upgraded Oakland
Last week I took the back wheel off the second Oakland and took it apart. Before rebuilding I had to order new spokes as the originals were 4 mm short, and I was unable to build a good wheel with them. I got the new spokes from Chain Reaction Cycles, 36 DT Swiss Competition Stainless DB Spokes, 18 spokes at 290 mm and 18 spokes at 292 mm.

With the right size spokes the wheel build went perfect and I ended up with a first class hand built back wheel. I had previously rebuilt the front wheel (which had the right sized spokes).

I also changed the tyres, not because the originals 700 x 28 tyres were worn out, they were not, but I’ve come to like a 700 x 35 tyre. I chose top of the line Schwalbe Marathon puncture resistant tyres. The original 28 tyres had a max pressure of 65 psi, the Schwalbe Marathon has a max of 85 psi. The bigger tyres runs better with less rolling resistance because of the extra air pressure. They are also a lot more versatile and comfortable on the rough roads and tracks I ride on.

Rebuilt wheel, with original
hub and rim.
The Oakland frame and the supplied components are good, but the bike is let down by the poor build quality of the wheels. When you get used to cycling with poorly built wheels you stop noticing how bad they are. When you cycle the same bike but with hand built wheels you realise the difference well built wheels make. If you buy an Oakland and want to make any upgrade to it, then get a wheel builder to strip down and rebuild the wheels.

With the newly upgraded wheels and a new chain the Oakland has cost 515 euros so far. It has done close to 10,000 km and it’s running perfectly. In fact with its rebuilt wheels its now running better than it did the day I bought it.

36 DT Swiss Competition Stainless DB Spokes
From Chain Reaction Cycles €23.05

Schwalbe Marathon Tyre
From Halfords €32.99

 DT Swiss Competition Stainless DB Spokes
Oakland Reviewed Part 1
Oakland Reviewed Part 2
Oakland Reviewed Part 3
Oakland Reviewed Part 4
Oakland Reviewed Part 6


No comments:

Post a Comment